EU Settlement Scheme

Between 2020 and 2023, Latin American House offered assistance to hundreds of vulnerable Spanish and Portuguese-speaking EU citizens and their families who needed help applying for temporary or permanent residence under the EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS).

This service has now ended, however you can find useful resources and links to other organisations below. We have partnered with New Europeans UK to provide a referral service, so any new EUSS queries will be passed on to their team. 

EU Settlement Scheme FAQ

For the most part, no, as applications for the EU Settlement Scheme closed on the 30th June 2021.

You can now only apply to the EU Settlement Scheme if you were living in the UK before the 31st December 2020 and also if you:

  • Have a justifiable reason to be applying late, and have evidence of this

  • Wish to update a Pre-Settled status (temporary leave to remain) to a Settled Status (indefinite leave to remain)

  • Wish to join a family member in the UK

No. The only case in which you might have to pay is if you have a biometric appointment and you choose to pay for it rather than wait for a free appointment.

Your Status is digital only, and you will be notified by email. If you are an EU citizen, you will NOT receive any physical document. To see and check your Status you need to log in here with the number of the ID document you used in your application, and the number and email you registered with. You need to log in to your Status page online every time you want to update the personal information associated with your Status, such as your phone number, email, address, ID document, etc. 

To update your Biometric Residence Card (BRC), you will have to follow the steps outlined in this page.

You will have to do this if:

  • Your BRC is expired, stolen, or damaged
  • You have changed your name, nationality, facial appearance, date of birth, or gender
  • You want to exchange your old BRC under the former European rules for an up-to-date one – that is to say, one expedited under the EU Settlement Scheme.
  • You want to change a BRC that shows Pre-Settled Status for one that shows Settled Status

Yes! If you don’t update the phone number and email connected to your status each time you change then you can get stuck when trying to see and access your Status. You also need to make sure your ID and address are up to date. 

If your application is still ongoing, you can update your information here

Once your application is approved, you need to access your settled or pre-settled status with the same ID number and the same phone number or email than the one you registered with. Then go to “Updte your details” and follow the steps. 

You need to inform the Home Office if you renew the passport or ID card linked to your status. You will need to physically send the new document to the Home Office by mail (it will then be returned to you). The process is as follows:

1 – Access your profile (your Status online) and click on “update your Details”

2 – Select “Identity Documents” and update the information following the steps

3 – You will need to upload a photo of the new document

To see your Status, you need to log in with the same ID number and the same phone number or email that you used to apply. 

If you are asked for a 9-digit ID code (“share code”) for any government request (for example Universal Credit applications) you will also need to log in to your status. From there, go to “Prove my status to someone else” and follow the steps. 

This video in Spanish by IRMO shows you how to manage your profile and get your share code. 

NOTE: Having Pre-Settled Status does not automatically entitle you to Universal Credit. 

You have two options.

The first is to inform the Home Office Settlement Resolution Centre and keep any evidence that shows you were not able to return (e.g.: flight cancellations)

The second option is to re-apply to the EU Settlement Scheme. 

You can write to the Settlement Resolution Centre online or you can call 0300 123 7379. If you are calling from abroad, call 0044 203 080 0010.

As of the 1st of July, under the new rules, you can only regroup family members belonging to these 4 categories:

1. Spouses, Civil Partners, or non-married couple

2. Children, grandchildren, or great-grandchildren under 21 years old

3. Children, grandchildren, or great-children over 21 years old who are dependents

4. Parents, grandparents, or great-grandparents who are dependents

You can find more information about this here.

You can also directly ask any questions about Family Permits through the UK Visas & Immigration Customer Contact Centre on 0300 790 6268.

Ask us your questions

Don’t see your question in the list above? Please click the button below to fill out a form with your query. Our advisor will take these questions and record a video answering them.

Please note this service is for general queries only – if you want specific or in-depth advice relating to your EUSS application, please request an appointment below. 

Request an appointment

Please click the button below to fill out an Appointment Request form. Our advisor will be in touch shortly. 

Scroll to Top

Did you find what you were looking for?

Would you like to see more information about: