Immigration Advice

Latin American House’s Immigration service is currently paused. In this section, you will find useful resources to help you with immigration issues. However, if you require direct support or advice, we recommend contacting one of our partner organisations, such as IRMO.

Useful Resources

Government Resources

New Immigration System: What You Need To Know

Check if you need a UK Visa

Check if you can become a UK citizen

Guides and Support

Migrant Help Asylum Guide*
Information in Spanish about claiming asylum in the UK.

Help if your immigration status limits what benefits you can claim
Support from for immigrants with No Recourse to Public Funds (NRPF)

Wanstead and Woodford Migrant Support
For residents of Redbridge, Waltham Forest, Newham, Barking & Dagenham, Havering and Essex. WWMS’s immigration solicitor is a Spanish speaker. Email to get in touch. 

Citizens Advice
Free advice (online, phone, or in-person). You can request an interpreter if you have difficulties with English.

Law Centres
Free legal advice and resources.

OISC Adviser Finder
Search tool to help you find an adviser. You can sort by free services.

Support for Migrant Families – Information on support that migrant families can access if they have no recourse to public funds.

Legal Aid
Check if you are entitled to receive help with legal costs

Guía: Conoce tus Derechos (Spanish)* 
Full translated guide on your rights as a migrant in the UK, created by the Migrant’s Rights Network

Guia: Conheça seus Direitos (Portugues)*
Full translated guide on your rights as a migrant in the UK, created by the Migrant’s Rights Network

English Language (ESOL) for Resettlement: Guidance document for London
Guide to ESOL (English as a Second Language) Learning for people entering the country via a resettlement, asylum, or refugee scheme.


Irregular Migrant Helpline: 020 7553 7470
If you are in the UK without status and need legal advice, call the JCWI’s helpline on 020 7553 7470. It is open on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays between 10am and 1pm. The helpline is confidential and advice is free. Calls cost up to 13p per minute from landlines, 3p to 55p from mobiles.

Free Immigration Advice Helpline (French & English): 0207 440 2669
Asylum and immigration advice in French and English. Available Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays 10:30am – 1:30pm

Partner Organizations

Indoamerican Refugee Migrant Organisation (IRMO)

Immigration Frequently Asked Questions

In collaboration with Seraphus Law, a law firm here in London, we offer a free legal advice service for users in precarious situations. This consists of a 45-minute video call (on Google Meet) with an immigration lawyer. These are initial appointments to provide basic guidance - if a user wishes Seraphus to take on the case in an official capacity, they will have to contact them separately to find out the cost. In many cases, there is also the option to recieve free legal representation via Legal Aid.

The service we offer with Seraphus is for users who are already in the United Kingdom and wish to stay, particularly for humanitarian reasons (because they wish to claim asylum, for example). We also accept cases from people who wish to obtain British nationality, or those who are without official migration status and wish to regularise their status.

Unfortunately, the service is not for people who wish to bring someone into the United Kingdom from outside the country.

Please note that the service is for those who cannot afford to pay for legal counsel. If you earn over £1500 a month (£18,600) a year, we cannot give you an appointment. 

Seraphus is a law firm that Latin American House is collaborating with in the provision of immigration services. Seraphus provides free, confidential immigration advice, without any obligation to then use their services.

You can find out more about Seraphus here.

This service is designed to help our most vulnerable users. We are able to provide you with a free appointment with an immigration lawyer if:

  • You need to stay in the United Kingdom (for example if you do not have a valid visa or if your visa is about to expire)
  • You have a low income and are unable to pay for an appointment with a lawyer.

Latin American House operates a separate advice service for EU Settlement Scheme queries. Find out more and arrange an advice appointment here.

Scroll to Top

Did you find what you were looking for?

Would you like to see more information about: