In this page, you will find resources to support you in a variety of matters, including claiming benefits in the UK, immigration, children and young people, and more. 

Benefit Factsheets

Informative documents detailing everything you need to know about key benefits in the UK, in Spanish. 

Universal Credit Factsheet

Child Benefit

National Insurance Number Factsheet

Council Housing

General Resources

Please see below a compiled list of helpful resources about a range of key topics, including housing, benefits, health and wellbeing, domestic abuse, and more. 
Resources available in Spanish and/or Portuguese are indicated with an asterisk (*). 

NHS Coronavirus Page – Official government advice for COVID-19.

Doctors of the World Translated Guides* – Latest COVID-19 guidance translated into 60 languages

COVID-19 Infographics* – Infographics with useful information, translated in several languages

COVID-19 Migrant Information Service – Collection of resources for migrants with translations (select language in drop-down menu on the upper right)

Employment Rights Hub* – Official government guidance on employment rights, translated into 20 languages

Modern Slavery & COVID-19: How to get help* – Guidance on how to spot modern slavery and help for victims, translated into 11 languages

Benefits Calculator – Allows you to calculate which benefits you are entitled to in the UK.

Universal Credit and You – Official government guidance on Universal Credit

Claiming Universal Credit and other Benefits if you are a Refugee – Official government guidance for refugees

Help if your immigration status limits what benefits you can claim – Support from for immigrants with No Recourse to Public Funds (NRPF)

Prestaciones y Subsidios de la Seguridad Social británica* – Guide in Spanish by the Spanish Embassy on UK benefits

Streetlink – To report someone sleeping rough and connect them with a local service

The Pavement Services Finder – Extensive list of homelessness services in the UK with easy-to-use filters

Migrant Information Hub* (Spanish) – Translated guides in Spanish for people struggling with rent, temporary accommodation, or homelessness

Migrant Information Hub* (Portuguese) – Translated guides in Portuguese for people struggling with rent, temporary accommodation, or homelessness

Asylum & Refugee Hub (Mayor of London) – Information and resources for asylum seekers and refugees from the

Asylum Crisis (London) –if you are an asylum seeker in London and you need accommodation or support or your support has been refused or terminated, this service can help you.

Phone: 0207 952 1599

EU Settlement Scheme Factsheet* – Official government factsheet, translated into several languages

Booklet: How to Apply for the EUSS* – Instructions for applying to the EUSS, translated in 7 languages

Applying for Settled Status*: A Guide for Pre-Settled Status Holders – A guide by New Europeans on how to apply for settled status if you have pre-settled status (in Spanish)

Managing your EUSS Status* – Videos and documents from New Europeans UK with instructions on how to access, manage, and prove your EUSS status, translated into several languages

The AIRE Centre – Free legal advice and representation for EEA nationals

Praxis – Advice and helpline for vulnerable EU citizens


Rights of Women EU Settlement Scheme Advice Line: 020 7118 0267
For vulnerable women (victims of Violence Against Women and Girls) who are EU citizens

National Domestic Abuse Helpline – 0808 2000 247

Women’s Aid Resources – Guides and resources compiled by Women’s Aid

Chayn* – Crowdsourced resources and guides on domestic abuse and mental health, translated into several languages

Bright Sky App – Downloadable app for your phone with advice and resources

Citizen’s Advice – List of resources and support available for both male and female victims of domestic abuse

Boots Pharmacy have committed themselves to providing safe spaces for victims of domestic abuse. If you feel unsafe for any reason, you can go to your local Boots Pharmacy and its consultation room will be offered as a safe space for you to access help, for example through a helpline.

Living with Worry and Anxiety Amongst Global Uncertainty* – Free guide by Psychology tools, translated into many languages.

Mental Health Information* – Translated guides from the Royal College of Psychiatrists

Action for Happiness Calendar – Daily actions you can take for your wellbeing.


Samaritans: 116 123 or email
Samaritans provide free, confidential phone line for people suffering from depression and suicidal thoughts. They also have an email service if you prefer to write down your thoughts and don’t need to speak to someone instantly.

Mind Infoline: 0300 123 3393
For mental health information and signposting

Mind Legal Line: 0300 466 6463
Advice on Mental Health law

Menchú Nursery – Bilingual English/Spanish nursery for children aged 2-5. Free hours available for parents from low-income families.

Parental Involvement Support* – Translated guides in several languages by The Bell Foundation, designed to help non-English-speaking parents to understand and get involved in their children’s UK schooling

Mindheart* – Activity book for children on COVID-19, available in many languages

General Helplines

Citizen’s Advice: 0800 144 8848 (National), 0808 278 7835 (Camden), 020 8438 1249 (Brent)

Citizen’s Advice provides free advice on immigration, housing, family, debt, benefits, and more. Ask for an interpreter if you have difficulties with English.

Helplines for Women

Latin American Women’s Right Service (LAWRs) Helpline: 0808 145 4909

Latin American Women’s Aid Domestic Violence Helpline: 020 7275 0321

Immigration Helpline: 020 7490 7689

Family Law Helpline: 020 7251 6577 (National), 020 7608 1137 (London)

Sexual Harassment at Work Helpline: 020 7490 0152

Helplines for Men

CALM (Campaign Against Living Miserably) Helpline: 0800 58 58 58
CALM is for anyone who is dealing with depression and suicidal thoughts, but their work focuses on men’s mental health. There is also a web chat on their website.

Male Victims of Domestic Abuse Helpline: 0808 8010327

Immigration Resources

Please see below a compiled list of helpful immigration resources.
Resources available in Spanish and/or Portuguese are indicated with an asterisk (*). 

Migrant Help Asylum Guide*
Information in Spanish about claiming asylum in the UK.

Help if your immigration status limits what benefits you can claim
Support from for immigrants with No Recourse to Public Funds (NRPF)

Wanstead and Woodford Migrant Support
For residents of Redbridge, Waltham Forest, Newham, Barking & Dagenham, Havering and Essex. WWMS’s immigration solicitor is a Spanish speaker. Email to get in touch.

Citizens Advice
Free advice (online, phone, or in-person). You can request an interpreter if you have difficulties with English.

Law Centres
Free legal advice and resources.

OISC Adviser Finder
Search tool to help you find an adviser. You can sort by free services.

Support for Migrant Families – Information on support that migrant families can access if they have no recourse to public funds.

Legal Aid
Check if you are entitled to receive help with legal costs

Guía: Conoce tus Derechos (Spanish)* 
Full translated guide on your rights as a migrant in the UK, created by the Migrant’s Rights Network

Guia: Conheça seus Direitos (Portugues)*
Full translated guide on your rights as a migrant in the UK, created by the Migrant’s Rights Network

English Language (ESOL) for Resettlement: Guidance document for London
Guide to ESOL (English as a Second Language) Learning for people entering the country via a resettlement, asylum, or refugee scheme.

Irregular Migrant Helpline: 020 7553 7470
If you are in the UK without status and need legal advice, call the JCWI’s helpline on 020 7553 7470. It is open on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays between 10am and 1pm. The helpline is confidential and advice is free. Calls cost up to 13p per minute from landlines, 3p to 55p from mobiles.

Free Immigration Advice Helpline (French & English): 0207 440 2669
Asylum and immigration advice in French and English. Available Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays 10:30am – 1:30pm

EU Settlement Scheme Resources

Please see below a compiled list of helpful resources and information about the EU Settlement Scheme.
Resources available in Spanish and/or Portuguese are indicated with an asterisk (*). 

For the most part, no, as applications for the EU Settlement Scheme closed on the 30th June 2021.

You can now only apply to the EU Settlement Scheme if you were living in the UK before the 31st December 2020 and also if you:

  • Have a justifiable reason to be applying late, and have evidence of this

  • Wish to update a Pre-Settled status (temporary leave to remain) to a Settled Status (indefinite leave to remain)

  • Wish to join a family member in the UK

No. The only case in which you might have to pay is if you have a biometric appointment and you choose to pay for it rather than wait for a free appointment.

Your Status is digital only, and you will be notified by email. If you are an EU citizen, you will NOT receive any physical document. To see and check your Status you need to log in here with the number of the ID document you used in your application, and the number and email you registered with. You need to log in to your Status page online every time you want to update the personal information associated with your Status, such as your phone number, email, address, ID document, etc. 

To update your Biometric Residence Card (BRC), you will have to follow the steps outlined in this page.

You will have to do this if:

  • Your BRC is expired, stolen, or damaged
  • You have changed your name, nationality, facial appearance, date of birth, or gender
  • You want to exchange your old BRC under the former European rules for an up-to-date one – that is to say, one expedited under the EU Settlement Scheme.
  • You want to change a BRC that shows Pre-Settled Status for one that shows Settled Status

Yes! If you don’t update the phone number and email connected to your status each time you change then you can get stuck when trying to see and access your Status. You also need to make sure your ID and address are up to date. 

If your application is still ongoing, you can update your information here

Once your application is approved, you need to access your settled or pre-settled status with the same ID number and the same phone number or email than the one you registered with. Then go to “Updte your details” and follow the steps. 

You need to inform the Home Office if you renew the passport or ID card linked to your status. You will need to physically send the new document to the Home Office by mail (it will then be returned to you). The process is as follows:

1 – Access your profile (your Status online) and click on “update your Details”

2 – Select “Identity Documents” and update the information following the steps

3 – You will need to upload a photo of the new document

To see your Status, you need to log in with the same ID number and the same phone number or email that you used to apply. 

If you are asked for a 9-digit ID code (“share code”) for any government request (for example Universal Credit applications) you will also need to log in to your status. From there, go to “Prove my status to someone else” and follow the steps. 

This video in Spanish by IRMO shows you how to manage your profile and get your share code. 

NOTE: Having Pre-Settled Status does not automatically entitle you to Universal Credit. 

You have two options.

The first is to inform the Home Office Settlement Resolution Centre and keep any evidence that shows you were not able to return (e.g.: flight cancellations)

The second option is to re-apply to the EU Settlement Scheme. 

You can write to the Settlement Resolution Centre online or you can call 0300 123 7379. If you are calling from abroad, call 0044 203 080 0010.

As of the 1st of July, under the new rules, you can only regroup family members belonging to these 4 categories:

1. Spouses, Civil Partners, or non-married couple

2. Children, grandchildren, or great-grandchildren under 21 years old

3. Children, grandchildren, or great-children over 21 years old who are dependents

4. Parents, grandparents, or great-grandparents who are dependents

You can find more information about this here.

You can also directly ask any questions about Family Permits through the UK Visas & Immigration Customer Contact Centre on 0300 790 6268.

Children & Young People Resources

Please see below a compiled list of helpful resources for Children & Young People.
Resources available in Spanish and/or Portuguese are indicated with an asterisk (*). 

Place2Be Wellbeing Resources – Place2Be is a charity dedicated to children’s mental health. In this link, you will find various resources such as creative activities, guides to starting school and exams, and more.

NHS Healthier Families – This NHS website contains ideas for getting your children moving, healthy recipes, and more.

Young Minds – Several resources designed by professionals to help children and young people navigate trauma, anxiety, self-harm, and more.

Supporting refugee and asylum seeking children – Information for educators from Young Minds on how to best support refugee and asylum seeking children, including parent insights and a guide to trauma-informed practice.

Your Guide to Claiming Asylum as a Separated Child in the UK – A guide from Refugee Council designed for separated children claiming asylum in the UK

Maternity Care in the UK for women on asylum support – A guide from Refugee Council designed for expecting mothers on asylum support


Scroll to Top

Did you find what you were looking for?

Would you like to see more information about: